Book Thoughts #15
Last week or two, I was surfing the Liquid Forums, or the Liquid Website?, and I read about a book entitled "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller. So I was interested, def. interested. Much is made about how this book conveys Christian spirituality in a different way...at least that is my impression from the cover quotes. And I was surprised that what you have a series of "new-realism" essays (the author's own words). I found basically a guy writing from his heart. We see his feelings about the church today, and I daresay that he is not off base. The author offers a Christianity outside the mainstream conception of Christianity, and I think that his criticism of the church are right on. That we preach unconditional love, but in practice it is anything but.
Its interesting because I have been dwelling on some of the same issues that Miller writes about. How do we live amongst PAGANS? Just kidding. Miller's tone was anything but sarcastic. I think Miller was trying to resent a different brand of Christianity, a more spirtual, less pharisaic, more accepting, less judgemental Christianity. Anyhoo, a book worth the time, check it out.
--boy I feel tired--Wow, October has just flown by. Pretty soon it will be November, and December. This is the busy time of the year for many people. At work, we had to work last Saturday, and Late on Thursday for a parent converence...so its been a bit tiring. I recently purchased these small books, hoping to get my book count higher! Maybe I could finish with having read 25 books this year...but buying those short ones, that's totally not right huh? But the topics were interesting. Yikes a bit of the OCD is coming out.
==football!===
Watching a bit of the Cowboys - Packers game at Lambeau field. I like the way this game looks, lots of shots from the field. And it seems like every Packer game, you see this shot of QB Brett Farve waiting to get in. He appears as a general waiting to go to battle. Watching these guys run reminds me that I need to pound the pavement, I've been feeling myself grow more out of shape as the weeks wear on. I really need to get the lead out (ok enough psyching myself out)... Ahh, what is the fascination with football? Well, more on that some other time. Check out more of my thoughts at Mezuzah.Xanga.Com

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home