Thursday, October 07, 2004

Misc. and Book Thoughts #14

Miscellany

I'm out in Dallas, Texas, one of the big cities of the SW. And I'm just hanging out. Trying to read, but too many distractions, t.v., computer, stuff like that...Its kind of cool to get away for awhile.

China Dog and Other Stories from a Chinese Laundry

By Judy Fong Bates, this book is a collection of 8 stories that seem to begin in the early part of the last century leading up to modern times. These stories are glimpses into the Chinese Immigrant experience in Canada.

When I picked it up, I was in the afterglow of reading Kim Wong Keltner's "Dim Sum of All Things." I don't know if I was consciously hoping to find a voice that shared my own experience, but "China Dog" did speak to me. I laughed and could identify with some of the cultural conflicts that these characters faced.

I like to read short stories once in awhile, its nice to have something quick to read and enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home